Skip to main content

Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS)

Who needs to apply for ATAS clearance as part of a visa application and how to apply

If you are a non-EEA national* studying a course that leads to a postgraduate qualification at Masters or Doctorate level, and your course is listed on the ATAS website, you must apply for, and be issued with, an ATAS clearance certificate.  This includes course transfers to MEng & MPhys (Physics).  You must have received ATAS clearance before you start/transfer to a new course.  

*If you are a national from Australia, Canada, Japan, New Zealand, Singapore, South Korea or United States of America, you are exempt from the ATAS requirement and condition.

All students on a time-limited visa (including Refugee/Discretionary Leave/Tier 4/Student/Standard Visitor for study) are required to have valid ATAS before they are allowed to repeat studies or transfer course.

When to apply

Apply for your certificate at least 4 months before your visa is due to expire or before you wish to transfer course - you cannot extend your visa or transfer course until you have received your certificate.

How to apply

Follow the instructions on the ATAS website.

Applications are made online and are free of charge. The Foreign & Commonwealth Office (FCO) aim to process your application within three weeks of receiving it, but it can take longer, especially during busy periods.

Current students

All students who require an ATAS certificate to study their chosen course must apply for a new ATAS Clearance Certificate if any of their course details change or course end date is postponed for a period of more than 3 months, within 28 calendar days of the change, regardless of when your visa expires.

For information please see the Appendix ATAS on the Home Office website.

Contact Us

Student Immigration Team (Advice)

Student Immigration Team (Advice & Compliance)

Today - Closed
Wednesday at DeHav Hub
Ask Herts (Hutton Hub), College Lane