Skip to main content

EU Settlement Scheme (EUSS)

Information for EU/EEA & Swiss nationals on how to to protect your rights.

How to protect your rights

If you are an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen and you intend to remain in the UK after 30 June 2021 you should apply to the EU Settlement Scheme (EUSS).

You may be eligible to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme (EUSS) if you were living in the UK by the end of the transition period at 23:00 GMT on 31 December 2020.

The deadline to apply is 30 June 2021.

What happens if I do not apply?

If you do not apply by 30 June 2021 your ability to live, study and work in the UK will be affected.  

What is the application process?

Applications to the EUSS are free. 

The application requires you to prove your identity and nationality, residence in the UK, and declare criminality. More information on what you’ll need to apply can be found here and applications can be made online on GOV. The UK using a computer, tablet or mobile phone.

If you apply successfully to the EUSS, you will be able to continue living, studying and working in the UK after 30 June 2021. Successful applicants get either settled status or pre-settled status. This means you can continue to be eligible to access the benefits and services as you do now.

If you haven’t done so already, make sure you apply now otherwise your ability to live, study and work in the UK will be affected.

Where can I get support?

Although the Student Immigration Team cannot provide support with your application, there is still lots of help and support available to help you in applying.

  • EU Settlement Scheme guidance

EU, EEA and Swiss citizens can check what they need to do to stay in the UK. Guidance is available on GOV.UK.

  • EU Settlement Scheme Resolution Centre

For questions about their application, EU citizens can call 0300 123 7379 or +44 (0) 20 3080 0010 from outside the UK (Monday to Friday, 8 am to 8 pm and Saturday to Sunday, 9.30 am to 4.30 pm). Find out about call charges.

  • Assisted Digital

This free service is available over the phone and in-person if EU citizens do not have the right access, skills or confidence to complete the online application form. Contact We Are Digital by calling 03333 445 675 (Monday to Friday, 9 am to 5 pm). For more information, visit GOV.UK.

  • ID document scanning service

This service is available to complete the identity verification step if EU citizens do not have access to the EU Exit: ID Document Check app. There may be an administrative fee to use this service. For a list of locations, visit GOV.UK.

  • Community organisations

The Home Office has provided funding for 72 organisations across the UK to provide help and support to EU citizens and their family members with their EU Settlement Scheme application. Find a local community organisation on the GOV.UK website

I have already applied - what should I do now?

If you have been granted settled or pre-settled status please can you provide us with a share code

Once we have received your share code, we will check your immigration status and update your student record.  Share codes should be sent to

Contact Us

Student Immigration Team (Compliance)

Student Immigration Team (Advice & Compliance)

Today - Closed
Ask Herts (Hutton), College Lane