What is Brexit?
- On 23rd June 2016 the UK held a referendum on Britain's membership of the EU
- On 24th June 2016 the result was in favour of leaving the EU
- On 29th March 2017 Article 50 was triggered, starting the process of the UK leaving the EU
- On 31st October 2019 the UK was due to leave the EU, this has now been extended to 31st January 2020 or sooner, although there will be a transition period until 31 December 2020
- On 31st January 2020 the UK left the EU with a withdrawal agreement
What does this mean for EU nationals studying in the UK?
- Student loans and grants have been confirmed for EU nationals starting a course in 2017/18, 2018/19, 2019/20, and 2020/21
- EU students with Pre-settled or Settled status can continue to live, work and study in the UK
- EU students starting a course from January 2021 will need to apply for a student visa through the new points-based immigration system. Further guidance for EU, EEA, and Swiss students can be found here.