Skip to main content

Student Finance England (SFE) Funding for students on a work placement

If you are on a spending a year on work placement as part of your course, the funding that you can receive from Student Finance England is different

If you choose to take a year in work placement as part of your course, either in the UK or overseas, you may still be entitled to some funding from SFE, as long as it is a recognised element of your course

Funding for living costs for students on paid placements

Home students will be able to apply for a reduced rate maintenance loan only, regardless of whether the work placement is in the UK or overseas, paid or unpaid. The maximum reduced rate maintenance loan in 2024/25 is:

Living away from home (including overseas work placements) Max. £3098
Living in the parental home Max. £2324

EU students will not be able to apply for funding for living costs

Funding for living costs for students on unpaid placements

There are some exceptions where students will continue to be eligible for the same funding package as in previous years (which may include maintenance or special support grant, dependants’ allowances and disabled students’ allowances). Students will still be eligible for their full funding package if they are undertaking ‘unpaid service’ in one of the following:

  • Unpaid service in a hospital or in a public health service laboratory or with a primary care trust
  • Unpaid service with a local authority relating to the care and or welfare of children / young persons or similar activities with a voluntary organisation
  • Unpaid service in the prison or probation and aftercare service
  • Unpaid research in a UK institution (university) or, in the case of a student attending an overseas institution as a part of his course in an overseas institution
  • Unpaid service with a Health Authority in England or Wales or equivalent in Scotland or Northern Ireland

Other types of unpaid work placements will receive the reduced rates of maintenance loan as if it were a paid placement

It is a student's responsibility to ensure that they can live on what is available before accepting a work placement

Is there any other financial support available?

If, once you have started your placement year, you are facing unexpected financial difficulty, you may be able to apply to the University's Financial Assistance Fund (UFAF). Please see our Ask Herts page for further information

Contact Us

Student Funding and Financial Support

Student Finance

Today 09:00 - 17:00
Offering guidance and support to our Student Loans Company (SLC) funded students.
Hutton Hub, College Lane
Today 09:00 - 17:00
Offering financial support to students, such as the Hardship Fund, Blackbullion and Money Management Workshops
Hutton Hub, College Lane