Skip to main content

Lost or Stolen Biometric Residence Permit Card

Information on what to do if your BRP card is lost or stolen in the UK

If you lose your BRP, you must report it lost and apply for a new one if there is more than 3 months left before it expires. You may have problems applying for a new job, opening a bank account or moving accommodation without your BRP as the original is required to check you have the right to do so.

Before taking the steps listed below, please look everywhere for your BRP. If you find your BRP after you have reported it missing, you will still have to go through the process of applying for a new one.

The steps to take:

  1. Report the BRP missing at the local police station. You need to get a receipt with a lost property/crime reference number on it from the police.
  2. Report the lost/stolen BRP card to the Home Office and apply for a replacement Please note: as soon as you do this, you will have cancelled your BRP.
  3. You will need to provide the lost property/police crime reference number, proof of your address (e.g. bank statement), your Police Registration Certificate if you need one, and your passport. The Home Office charge £56 for a new BRP and £19.20 for biometric enrolment, you will need a debit or credit card to make the online payment.
  4. You must attend an appointment at a UKVCAS Service Point to enrol your biometrics if you are unable to use the IDV app.

You cannot gain entry back into the UK without your BRP so do not make any travel arrangements until your new card is back. If an emergency occurs and you need to travel, or you lose your BRP card overseas you will need to apply for a replacement BRP single entry visa to re-enter the UK. Once you have returned to the UK contact Student Immigration Team (Advice) to apply for a replacement BRP card.

Contact Us

Student Immigration Team (Advice)

Student Immigration Team (Advice & Compliance)

Today - Closed
Drop-in sessions held every Wednesday & Thursday from 2pm to 3:30pm in Ask Herts (Hutton Hub).
Ask Herts (Hutton Hub), College Lane