Skip to main content

Police registration for international students

Find out what to do if you are required to register with the police and how to do it.

Who needs to register?

You must register with the Police if you are a national from one of the following countries:

Afghanistan • Algeria • Argentina • Armenia • Azerbaijan • Bahrain • Belarus • Bolivia • Brazil • China • Colombia • Cuba • Egypt • Georgia • Iran • Iraq • Israel • Jordan • Kazakhstan • Kuwait • Kyrgyzstan • Lebanon • Libya • Moldova • Morocco • North Korea • Oman • Palestine • Peru • Qatar • Russia • Saudi Arabia • Sudan • Syria • Tajikistan • Tunisia • Turkey • Turkmenistan • United Arab Emirates • Ukraine • Uzbekistan • Yemen

 To see if you are required to register with the police, please check the following documents:

  • Back of your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) OR
  • The decision letter from the Home Office granting you leave to remain in the UK OR
  • Any other separate letter which the Home Office has sent to you, instructing you to register with the police. 

 You must report to the Police within 7 days of arriving in the UK or receiving a new visa.

If you are required to register with the police, and you do not do this, you will be breaching your visa conditions which may affect your ability to study and stay in the UK.

If you are unsure - please contact a Student Immigration Adviser at Ask Herts Hutton.    

Where to register

I live in Hertfordshire


Students required to register with the police must register on the Hertfordshire Constabulary website for an appointment.  

Hatfield Police Station, Comet Way, Hatfield AL10 9SJ

I live in Bedfordshire

Students required to register with the police must register on the Bedfordshire Constabulary website for an appointment

I live in London 

Students requiring police registration services can now apply online. You must create an account on the online portal enter your details, upload your photo and book an appointment at the Overseas Visitors Records Office (OVRO)

To satisfy the 7 day legal requirement to register with the police, an appointment must be booked within 7 days of arrival in the UK or within 7 days of a change in circumstance.

The Registration Fee can be paid using Apple/GPay as well as most other Mobile Payment Apps. American Express and Diners Club International are also accepted. Cash is not accepted.

Customers will be required to show details of their booking confirmation on their phone or printout when they attend their appointment. Family or group bookings are not permitted. Appointments must be booked individually. Customers must arrive on time. If they are more than 10 minutes late, they will be required to book a new appointment.

Remember to check their Latest News for any changes to their opening times.

If you applied for and had your visa granted in the UK you will need to take your Home Office decision letter (sent to you via email) as well as your BRP card. 

I live outside of London,  Herts and Beds

Contact your local police station

Documents needed  

  • Your passport
  • Your Biometric Residence Permit (if you have one) or digital proof of status
  • Your decision letter or email from the Home Office (if you applied in the UK)
  • Proof of your UK accommodation (e.g., copy of your university accommodation boarding pass, a tenancy agreement or landlord letter)
  • Copy of your CAS statement (if you have a Tier 4/Student visa) or a student status letter (if you have a non Tier 4/Student visa)

You will need to pay £34 online via a secure link sent to you with confirmation of your appointment

Updating your certificate

It is your responsibility to inform the police of any changes – including change of address, new visa, new passport and marital status.

You must notify the Police of any changes within 7 days.

Take your certificate, passport, visa, and provide proof of your new address (if applicable) to your local police station.

If you live in Hertfordshire, please see the Hertfordshire Constabulary website for information.

If you live in Bedfordshire, please see the Bedfordshire Constabulary website for information.

If you live in London and registered online, you must report the following changes within 7 days of the change by accessing your online account and following the instructions:

  • Change of address
  • Change of college/university/course
  • Change of occupation
  • Change in marital status
  • New landing conditions (re-entry visa)
  • New visa details (leave to remain visa)
  • New passport details

There is no charge to update your police registration certificate.

Remember -  if you have changed your address, make sure you also update your UH student record. 

If you have changed your contact details (including your UK address) you must also inform UKVI - which can be done by completing the MCC form if you have a Biometric Residence Permit or online if your visa is in your passport.

Replacing a certificate

If you need a new certificate because it is lost or stolen see above, 'Where to register' for a new certificate. You will to provide all supporting documents again (including the £34 fee).  Please note there is no charge to receive a replacement certificate if your certificate is full.

Deferring studies/leaving the UK for more than 2 months

If you are leaving the UK due to deferring your studies, taking a Study Abroad or Placement year, you must notify the Police.

When travelling abroad, even going home during the vacation periods, you must carry your police registration certificate with you as the Border Force may ask to see it when you return to the UK.

For further information

Visit the Home Office website

Contact Us

Student Immigration Team (Advice)

Student Immigration Team (Advice & Compliance)

Today - Closed
Drop-in sessions held every Wednesday & Thursday from 2pm to 3:30pm in Ask Herts (Hutton Hub).
Ask Herts (Hutton Hub), College Lane