Skip to main content

Safeguarding – children on campus

Guidance on child safety and support

We understand that there will be occasions when your childcare is unavailable and you're struggling to attend your class that day. Children are unfortunately not allowed in lectures, classes, tutorials or any University space unless permission has been obtained and an appropriate risk assessment has been conducted.

We have put together below information in the hope that this will be helpful in accessing childcare and other useful information for parents and carers. If you are unable to attend your class, please let your lecturer or programme leader know so that they can advise you about how you can access the taught material. 

Your personal tutor can also advise you if you feel that your circumstances are having an ongoing impact on your ability to study.


The University Day Nursery offers on-campus childcare facilities for students, employees, and external applicants. They accept children from 3 months to 5 years Childcare|Life|Uni of Herts.

They are currently at capacity for most sessions but will always help accommodate if they can or signpost to other childcare providers in the local area.

Students can also find details of registered childminders by searching the postcode here: Find a registered childminder- GOV.UK (

Some other nurseries include: 

Registered Childminders 

Students can find details of registered childminders by searching the postcode here: Find a registered childminder - GOVUK (

Primary and Secondary schools 

Primary and Secondary school information and how to apply can be found here: School admissions: How to apply - GOV.UK (

Schools holidays and activities camps 

Hertfordshire Sports Village are offering kids campus this half-term. Details on how to book can be found here

You will also be able to find details of school holiday clubs in your local area on your Local Authority's website. 

Facilities for students and staff who may be breastfeeding and or need to express

Across both of our campuses, we provide students who are breastfeeding or need to express access to private and hygienic facilities. We also have First Aid Rooms which may be used, all of which contain fridges. Locations can be found through the Herts Mobile app. 

  • College Lane Campus has the following First Aid Rooms: LRC - room J150,  The Forum – room B525, Art and Design Building – room AA196, Science Building – room J014   
  • de Havilland Campus has the following First Aid Rooms: de Havilland Main Reception, MacLaurin 1st Floor – room Z120, Hertfordshire Sports Village.  


If you are looking for family accommodation, here is some information that may help you.

If you are homeless and do not have anywhere to live, you may be able to seek support from the Housing Options team at Welwyn Hatfield Borough Council (

Further information

Further information about financial, academic and wellbeing support can be found on your website: Student parents | Life | Uni of Herts. 

In addition to our Student Wellbeing service, we have also partnered with Health Assured to deliver 24/7 confidential helpline number is 0800 028 3766. You will be asked to confirm the University name and your School, programme of study and some contact details to set you up on the system. They will ask how they can help and get you the support when you most need it.  

Alternatively, you can download their 'My Healthy Advantage' app available on IOS and Android devices and input the following unique login code credentials: MHA191133

Financial support 

Here at Uni, you have access to our financial support services. If you are a parent or carer that is going through hardship, we are here for you. We have a wide range of avenues to seek such as grants, funds, allowance schemes, and child tax credit that you can apply for. 

For more information on our financial support services, please visit students parents financial page.