Skip to main content

Short-term Study Visa for English Language Course

How to apply for a Short-term Study visa if you are studying an English language course

Who is eligible for a Short-term Study visa?

You can apply for a short-term study visa if you are:

  • Studying an English language course up to 11 months long

Where do I apply?

  • You must apply for entry clearance in your home country

When can I apply?

  • You can apply up to 3 months before your date of travel.

How do I apply?

  • You must apply online
  • If you are a national from Australia, Canada, Japan, New Zealand, Singapore, South Korea or the USA do not use the eGates on arrival in the UK, as you will need to get your vignette in your passport stamped

IMPORTANT:  if you travel to the UK via the Republic of Ireland, you will not be able to get your vignette stamped when you enter the UK.  This is because when you travel in the Common Travel Area , you do not pass through UK immigration. 

We strongly advise that you take direct flights to the UK and not a connecting flight via Dublin/Ireland.

What documents will I need for the application?

  • Current passport or travel document
  • Evidence you can financially support yourself e.g. bank statements
  • Tuberculosis test results if required
  • Details of travel plans and accommodation
  • An offer letter from the University

For more information on documents see the Home Office website


You cannot undertake any type of work on a Short-term Study visa.  This includes work placements (paid or unpaid).  You will not be able to extend or switch to a different visa from within the UK and will need to leave the UK within 30 days of your course end date OR before your visa expires (whichever is sooner). 

For further information regarding Visitor visas, please see the UKCISA website and the Home Office website.

Contact Us

Student Immigration Team (Advice)

Student Immigration Team (Advice & Compliance)

Today - Closed
Wednesday at DeHav Hub
Ask Herts (Hutton Hub), College Lane