Who is eligible for a Short-term study visa?
You can apply for a short-term study visa if you are:
- Studying an English language course up to 11 months long
Where do I apply?
- You must apply for entry clearance in your home country
When can I apply?
- You can apply up to 3 months before your date of travel.
How do I apply?
- You must apply online
- If you are a national from Australia, Canada, Japan, New Zealand, Singapore, South Korea or the USA do not use the eGates on arrival in the UK, as you will need to get your vignette in your passport stamped
IMPORTANT: if you travel to the UK via the Republic of Ireland, you will not be able to get your vignette stamped when you enter the UK. This is because when you travel in the Common Travel Area , you do not pass through UK immigration.
We strongly advise that you take direct flights to the UK and not a connecting flight via Dublin/Ireland.
What documents will I need for the application?
- Current passport or travel document
- Evidence you can financially support yourself e.g. bank statements
- Tuberculosis test results if required
- Details of travel plans and accommodation
- An offer letter from the University
For more information on documents see the Home Office website
You cannot undertake any type of work on a Short-term study visa. This includes work placements (paid or unpaid). You will not be able to extend or switch to a different visa from within the UK and will need to leave the UK within 30 days of your course end date OR before your visa expires (whichever is sooner).
For further information regarding Short-term study visas, please see the UKCISA website and the Home Office website.