Skip to main content

Study Abroad Insurance

Insurance whilst studying abroad


During your time abroad you will be covered by UH emergency travel and medical insurance and a summary of the cover is available from the Study Abroad Team. You will not, however, be covered during the long vacation or if you participate in high risk activities. You are therefore advised to take out your own travel and medical insurance to cover all eventualities.

Please note that some partner universities require you to take out their own health insurance, particularly in the USA.
If your study period abroad is a necessary part of your programme, you may be eligible for help to cover this cost. Your Student Finance Office will be able to provide further information.

f you are a national of an EU or EEA member state and are planning a study period in a European Union country, you are advised to apply for a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) so that you can receive emergency medical treatment whilst abroad.

Please note UK nationals are no longer eligible for the EHIC card however, you can apply for GHIC card. See link  for information: Applying for healthcare cover abroad (GHIC and EHIC) - NHS (