Skip to main content

What types of placements can I look for? (Part 2)

This articles provides information on the 6 months study/ 6 work placement option

6 months study/ 6 months work abroad

Check eligibility - If you are eligible to take a placement you may be able to undertake a  6 months study abroad/ 6 months work placement.

Where can I study?

For more information on where you can study abroad click here.

Where can I work?

You can do the 6 months work placement either home or abroad depending on your course (if unsure check with programme tutors). 

What are the requirements 

To fulfil university requirements, your placement must be:

  • 6 months work (minimum of 18 weeks)
  • Full-time hours (minimum of 35 hours per week)

Finding a placement

Click here for the four steps you should take to find a work placement.

N.B:  If you are on a Tier 4 study visa, remember to check whether a work placement will affect your visa - for guidance, contact the Student Immigration Team (Advice) via email: or by telephone: 01707 284800.  This includes checking any restricted work placements.

International students (non-EU) can work full-time hours if they are undertaking a UH approved placement year as part of their studies. Outside of this, you can usually only work up to twenty hours per week – check your BRP card for how many hours you can work in term-time. You can undertake most types of work/work placement but you must NOT engage in business or self-employment which includes being a shareholder or owning a business.  Self-employment can also include selling your own products or regular Ebay selling.  You cannot take a placement as a professional sportsperson/sports coach.  Professional sportsperson includes playing or coaching, paid or unpaid, at all levels in any capacity.  This includes being registered with a national/youth/state/professional/semi-professional team.  This is not an exhaustive list, so if you are involved with any type of sporting activity or coaching, please seek advice from the International Student Support team. 

You also cannot be employed as an entertainer (including modelling) or doctor in training, and cannot fill a permanent full-time vacancy. UH international students are also not eligible to undertake a placement which involves solely being based from home.

If you are a University of Hertfordshire student, you will be able to work a maximum of 15 hours per week during term-time, regardless of whether you are a home or international student.  


Contact Us

Careers and Employment

Today - Closed
The Careers and Employment Service is open to all of our current students and graduate for up to four years after their course ends. Our services are currently operating remotely during our normal opening hours. We offer daily video and phone appointments with Careers Advisers. Please find out more by visiting our website:
LB416, College Lane

European & Study Abroad Office

Student Administration Service (SAS)

Today - Closed
European and Study Abroad Office, Collage Lane Campus
Today - Closed
European and Study Abroad Office, College Lane Campus