Skip to main content

When you have found a placement

This article contains six steps to take once you have found a placement

1) Get your placement approved

Careers and Employment can help you with this.

2) Email 

To let us know about your placement.

3) Send us further information 

We will ask you to complete a short online form and upload your job description and a contract/offer letter. 

4) We will call you to risk assess your placement

5) We will ask you to sign a placement agreement letter which includes T&Cs

6) Await confirmation 

We will confirm that your placement has been approved and give further instructions.

Please note that if you have outstanding fees with the University/a sanction for non-payment of fees, your placement may be unable to continue.  It is recommended that you make all the necessary fee payment arrangements in advance of your placement approval to avoid the delays related to this and the possibility that you may not be able to undertake your placement.

N.B:  If you are on a Student/Tier 4 visa, remember to check whether a work placement will affect your visa - for guidance, contact the Student Immigration Team (Advice) via email: or by telephone: 01707 284800.  This includes checking any restricted work placements.

International students can work full-time hours if they are undertaking a UH approved placement year as part of their studies. Outside of this, International students can usually only work up to twenty hours per week – we advise them to check their BRP card for how many hours they can work in term-time. UH International students can undertake most types of work/work placement, but they must NOT engage in business or self-employment which includes being a shareholder or owning a business.  Self-employment can also include selling your own products or regular Ebay selling.  International students cannot take a placement as a professional sportsperson/sports coach.  Professional sportsperson includes playing or coaching, paid or unpaid, at all levels in any capacity.  This includes being registered with a national/youth/state/professional/semi-professional team.  This is not an exhaustive list, so if the student is due to be involved with any type of sporting activity or coaching, they need to seek advice from the SIT Advice team. 

UH international students also cannot be employed as an entertainer (including modelling) or doctor or dentist in training and cannot fill a permanent full-time vacancy.  UH international students are only able to undertake a placement which is permanently and full time remote/home working with the permission of their School, and providing that the placement can be monitored by UH.

If you are a University of Hertfordshire student, you will be able to work a maximum of 15 hours per week during term-time, regardless of whether you are a home or international student.

Contact Us

Careers and Employment

Today 09.00 - 17.00
The Careers and Employment Service is open to all of our current students and graduate for up to four years after their course ends. We offer daily video, phone, and in-person appointments with Careers Advisers. Appointments are available on both College Lane in the Hutton Hub and on de Havilland in the Enterprise Hub. Please find out more by visiting our website: Contact the Careers and Employment team instantly with Live Chat on the Careers and Employment website. To start a conversation with the team, visit the homepage and click the icon in the bottom right-hand corner.
LB416, College Lane