Skip to main content

Working Abroad

What you need to do if you would like to work or do a placement abroad

If you are interested in working or volunteering abroad, the Careers and Employment (CE) can support you with finding a suitable opportunity.  The licenced Going Global database provides worldwide job and internship listings and online resources with helpful information and useful links are accessible via the CareerHub portal.

If you would like to do a work placement abroad as part of your placement year, you will need to get in touch with the Careers and Employment (CE)  to enquire about the specific placement requirements as well as the opportunities they might offer.

If you choose to do a placement in a European country, you may be eligible for the Erasmus+ grant. Therefore, you may need to get in touch with the Study Abroad office as well.

UK students who wish to study in countries where there is a high average cost of living, detailed in the table below, are eligible for up to 450 euros per month they are there, and in other countries they can recieve up to 370 euros per month. If students wish to do a traineeship, the amounts are greater - 520 / 450 euros a month.

There are high and medium/lower cost of living countries for UK students:

Higher cost of living countries 520 train/450 study (euro per  month) Medium/lower cost of living countries 470 train/370 study (euro per month)
Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Ireland, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Norway, Sweden

Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Estonia, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Turkey, former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia


As an EU national you will not need a visa to work in the European Union,If you are a British National you are now reuired a visa to work in Europe. 


Contact Us

European & Study Abroad Office

Student Administration Service (SAS)

Today - Closed
European and Study Abroad Office, Collage Lane Campus
Today - Closed
European and Study Abroad Office, College Lane Campus

Careers and Employment

Today - Closed
The Careers and Employment Service is open to all of our current students and graduate for up to four years after their course ends. Our services are currently operating remotely during our normal opening hours. We offer daily video and phone appointments with Careers Advisers. Please find out more by visiting our website:
LB416, College Lane