Requesting a short period of absence from studies
Why do we record absence for students on a Tier 4/Student route visa?
We monitor attendance for all of our students. However to comply with Home Office regulations, we must also record any periods of short absence for students on a Student route visa.
Reasons for absence may include:
- Religious/cultural reasons.
- Personal reasons e.g family emergencies, attending ceremonies overseas or short term ill health.
- Holidays during term-time or during School reading weeks.
If you are on official University vacation, you DO NOT require authorised absence.
How to request absence of 1 week or more:
- Complete the first section of the Absence Request Form form.
- Take or email the form to your programme leader (tutor) or supervisor.
- The programme leader will complete Section 2 and confirm if the absence has been granted (or not).
- The programme leader will email the completed form to SIT Compliance firstname.lastname@example.org
- A request for absence should be submitted at least 5 working days in advance of the absence.
- If you have left the UK for an emergency, please complete the absence form as soon as you are able to.
- Do not use this form if you are returning to your home country to complete studies as an online distance learner.
- A request for absence should be submitted if you wish to be away from the University during School reading weeks.
- If your Programme Leader does not authorise the absence, you must attend all studies as usual.
- Any absence should not impact on your ability to complete on time - you are still expected to complete your studies by your visa end date. Think carefully before asking for any absence. Please make sure that any period of absence (even if approved) will not affect your studies and that you can catch up on any missed study time. If you later ask for a visa extension due to deferrals or repeats then no new CAS will be given.
- The University reserves the right to withdraw sponsorship of your Student visa if unauthorised absence is taken without informing the University.
- PLEASE REMEMBER TO START SWIPING YOUR ID CARD AGAIN AS SOON AS YOU ARE BACK ON CAMPUS.
- IF YOU LEFT THE UK THEN YOU MUST PROVIDE PROOF OF ENTRY BACK TO THE UK ON YOUR RETURN (EG PASSPORT ENTRY STAMP). PLEASE EMAIL PROOF TO SITCOMPLIANCE@HERTS.AC.UK
- IF YOU FAIL TO PROVIDE PROOF OF YOUR RETURN TO STUDY & THE UK (IF YOU LEFT THE UK) THEN VISA SPONSORSHIP WILL BE WITHDRAWN.
HIC students - it is advisable to also contact HIC as they may also require you to complete their own absence form.