Skip to main content

Biometric Residence Permit (BRP)

Visas for international students will be issued on a BRP. This article tells you the options for collecting your BRP and how you can arrange for it to be delivered to the University.

This information is for students who have applied for a Student visa from overseas for a course of 6 months or more. 

Student visas will no longer be issued as a vignette (sticker) in your passport.  Instead you will be issued with a 30 or 90 day entry permit in your passport which will enable you to enter the UK. In addition, you will receive a decision letter  outlining the conditions of your immigration leave.

Your visa will be issued in the form of a Biometric Residence Permit (BRP). The BRP is similar in size to a credit card with a chip and includes your photo, immigration status and any conditions of your leave in the UK.

Prove your status without a BRP

Prove your right to work

Prove your right to rent

Collect your BRP

If you have booked to collect your BRP from the University, you do not need to present it at your stage 2 registration.

If collecting from the Post Office, you must show your BRP when you register onto your course.  Please make sure you collect it before you attend stage 2 registration.  If you do not have it then you may not be able to register and start your studies.

When you apply for your visa online from overseas, you choose where your BRP is delivered.

Delivery to The University

We recommend you choose this option.

  1. We gave you an Alternative Collection Location code (ACL)  2HE462 along with your CAS.
  2. Enter the code in the Alternative Location box as you apply for your visa online, click Find and when our address appears, click Confirm
  3. Your BRP will be delivered to the University around the time you travel to the UK
  4. We will email you when your BRP is available for collection;

    Even if you have received notification from the courier TNT that your BRP has been delivered to the University that doesn’t mean you can collect it straight away.

    It takes time to process a BRP before we can make it available for collection.  When it is ready you will be sent an email with a link to book an appointment to collect itPlease do not email asking if your BRP is ready to collect as this only slows down the processing.

  5. If you have already received an email from us book a collection appointment now  

Delivery to a local Post Office

Alternatively, if you do not enter our ACL code, your BRP will be delivered to a local Post Office.

The nearest local Post Office for BRP collection is in Hatfield town centre.

36 Town Centre, Hatfield, AL10 0LD

You must make your own arrangements to collect your BRP from the Post Office. 

What to bring with you

When you collect your BRP, you will need to show:

  • Your original Passport (not a copy)
  • The decision letter you received telling you your visa application was successful

You may be asked your UK address and phone number so make sure you know what these are.

Change the delivery location

Once you have completed your online visa application you will not be able to change the delivery location from The University to the local Post Office or from the local Post Office to The University.

If your BRP is to be delivered to a Post Office, you may be able to arrange for it to be transferred to a Post Office branch closer to where you live but the Post Office will charge you for this service.


If you have dependants accompanying you, they will also need to collect their own BRP.  You (as the main applicant) will need to be with your dependants for them to collect their BRP. Your dependants must also bring their original passport (not a copy) and their UKVI decision letter.

Under 18

If you are under 18 and collecting your BRP from the Post Office then someone over the age of 18 must come with you when you collect your card.  This must be either:

  • Your parent who is also collecting a BRP at the same time; or
  • Your legal guardian who is also collecting a BRP at the same time; or
  • A responsible adult. You must register a responsible adult first.

If you have asked for your BRP to be delivered to the University then you will be able to collect it on your own.

Problem with your BRP

If there is a mistake on your 30 day entry permit you should contact the Visa Application Centre before you travel to the UK.

If there is a problem collecting your BRP or you notice an error on your BRP card, contact Student Immigration Team (Advice) using the details below.

Lost or stolen BRP

If your BRP card is lost or stolen you must report the loss or theft to the Police and obtain a crime reference number. You will then need to report this to the Home Office so it can be cancelled and apply for a replacement BRP if you have more than 3 months left on your visa. Please see our Lost or stolen BRP card  page for more information.


Biometric Residence Permit FAQs


Contact Us

Student Immigration Team (Advice)

Student Immigration Team (Advice & Compliance)

Today - Closed
Drop-in sessions held every Wednesday & Thursday from 2pm to 3:30pm in Ask Herts (Hutton Hub).
Ask Herts (Hutton Hub), College Lane