Skip to main content

Medical care for international students

Find out what medical care is available for international students

All students are advised to register with a doctor. It is a good idea to register when you arrive at university rather than waiting until you feel unwell.

What medical care is available?

The medical care that is available will depend on the length of your course.

Length of Course Care available
6 months or less
  • Free medical care is not available, you are advised to arrange health insurance for the length of your course
  • Your home country may have a reciprocal health agreement with the UK, contact your embassy for more information
More than 6 months

Entitled to the same care as a UK citizen

Pre-sessional English courses

Those studying a pre-sessional English course will able to register with the University Medical Centre (if they live in University accommodation/in Hatfield) as long as they have an offer for a follow-on programme that is longer than six months.

Registering with a doctor

We have a medical centre on campus, we advise you to register with the on-campus medical centre but if you prefer you may register with any practice in the local area.

Further information

More information on medical care, specifically for international students can be found on the UKCISA website.

Contact Us

Student Immigration Team (Advice)

Student Immigration Team (Advice & Compliance)

Today - Closed
Wednesday at DeHav Hub
Ask Herts (Hutton Hub), College Lane