To support student wellbeing the University’s library team have launched a new Reading for Pleasure area in our College Lane LRC complete with print books and seating to enjoy your latest read. Located on our quiet second floor it’s the perfect spot to take a well-earned break from your studies.
And that’s not all, alongside the new space we’ve launched the Libby library reading app giving students and staff free access to a digital library packed with non-academic reading. With Libby you can browse, borrow and read our collection of digital magazines, ebooks and audio books. Get started today at libbyapp.com/library/uherts.
Reading for Pleasure area in our College Lane Learning Resources Centre
What will I find?
Find a collection of non-academic reading to support your wellbeing:
- Fiction and non-fiction print books - read in the LRC or borrow to read in the comfort of your own home. See our book borrowing page for more information.
- Digital magazines – Libby has thousands to choose from including entertainment, lifestyle, business and current affairs and much more. There is something for everyone!
- eBooks – discover fiction and non-fiction eBooks, from must read bestsellers to literary prize winners
- Audio books – we have a small collection of audio books available if you prefer that format
Can’t find what you are looking for? Use the Notify me feature on the Libby app and we’ll add it to the collection if it’s available.
Get started with the Libby library reading app
What is Libby?
Libby is a free library reading app for students and staff here at Herts. With Libby you can browse, borrow and read eBooks, digital magazines and audio books.
How do I access Libby?
- Download the Libby app from your app store or access the Libby via a web browser at libbyapp.com/library/uherts.
- Search for our University Library
- Sign in using your University username and password
- Browse, borrow or read!
What devices are compatible with Libby? Can I use multiple devices with Libby?
You can download the Libby app on:
- iOS devices running iOS10 or newer
- Android devices running Android 5.0 or newer
- Newer Fire tablets (full list on Libby Help)
How can I browse, borrow and read items from the Libby library?
Once you have signed in, you can browse the catalogue and borrow a title.
- Select the library symbol from the bottom menu bar to browse the collections
- Select the title you are interested in will give you options to Borrow or Read a sample.
- You can borrow a title for 7 days and can have up to 3 books on loan at a time
- To view the titles you currently have on loan, press the book symbol on the menu bar at the bottom of the screen to see your Shelf
- Tap Open Audiobook, Open Magazine or Open in Libby to start reading or listening to that title.
- Tap Manage Loan to see options like Renew and Return.
How can I recommend a title to the library team if I can’t find what I am looking for?
If you can’t find what you are looking for use the Notify Me option to tag titles and be notified if they are added to the collection in the future. If the title is added, you will be alerted and given the option to borrow the title or place a hold.
How do I add another library?
If you are a member of another library who uses Libby (Hertfordshire public libraries also use this app), you can add your library card with them to access their collections in addition to the University's collections.
- Click on the settings button in the centre of the menu bar at the bottom of the page.
- Then click on Add Library and follow the instructions to add your local library
Where can I find out more?
For help and support using the Libby app, visit the Libby help page.