Our Learning Resources Centre (LRC) bookshelves are available 24/7 for browsing and self-issue.
Plan ahead: You need your physical ID card to borrow a book. Your digital ID card will allow you into the LRC, but you cannot borrow any items using it.
- Finding books
- Borrowing books
- Returning loan items
- Late return of items
- Book reservations
- Keeping track of your library loans
- Watch this short video: 'Finding a Print Book using Library Search'
- You can access Library Search on your own device or search for books on one of our LRC information points.
- Make a note of the LRC where your book is shelved and the Dewey decimal number.
- At College Lane LRC you will typically find books on Health and Life Science, STEM subjects, and Art and Design
- At de Havilland LRC you will typically find books on Business, Law, Education, Humanities, and Sports Science.
- You can find the book numbers listed at the end of the book aisles.
- Don't forget to access your module reading list via your Canvas module for all your essential, recommended, and background reading for your course.
- Use Library Search to find books, e-books, journals, and other information sources. How to find books and e-books in Library Search
- Sign up to the Library SkillUP module for help in searching effectively across different sources to find relevant information for your assignments.
You will need your physical University ID card, which also acts as your library card, to use the self-issue machines:
- Place your ID card on the reader at the front of the self-issue machine.
- Please note you cannot use your virtual ID card (via HertsMobile app) to issue books.
- Or select the blue 'Borrow' button and follow the onscreen instructions.
- Place the items(s) you want to borrow on the 'Place books here' shelf.
- Await confirmation that the item(s) have been issued, select the 'Done' button and take your books away.
Please note the standard loan period for all items will be 2 weeks (with the exception of laptop loans):
- Items will auto-renew every 2 weeks up to 10 times unless reserved by another user.
- Staff and PGR student loans will renew every 2 weeks for up to one year unless reserved by another user.
- You can have a maximum of 25 loan items at any one time.
Please note that if you are unwell and unable to visit the LRC you can access the extensive digital book and journal collection available via the Online library on StudyNet and you can request a scanned copy of a print book chapter or journal article if an electronic version is unavailable: ask.herts.ac.uk/request-a-scan
Books can be returned to either LRC using the self-service machines:
- Select the Return button and place the item(s) you want to return on the 'Place books here' shelf.
- Await confirmation that the item(s) have been returned, select the 'Done' button and place the returned books either on the returns trolley or in the black box as per the on screen instructions.
- You can view your library account on the self-service machines and you will receive an automatic email within the hour confirming your items have been returned.
- If your books cannot be checked in on the machines please put them in the black boxes next to the self-service machines and you will receive an email confirming when your items have been checked back in.
- If you are off-campus or living at home here in the UK and are unable to travel to campus you can use our free UK postal return service.
Please note that if you are unwell or unable to return your item on the due date please contact the Helpdesk on 01707 284678 or email@example.com so that your loan can be extended.
Please ask a member of staff if you need support accessing any of our services.
For specialist disability support please contact the Student Wellbeing Team: www.herts.ac.uk/life/support-and-wellbeing/student-wellbeing/disability-support
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: +44 (0)1707 284453
- We do not issue fines for the late return of loan items.
- When an item becomes overdue your library account will be locked until the item is returned.
- You will not be able to place any reservations or borrow any items while your account is locked.
- Lost items should be reported to the Helpdesk.
- If loan items are overdue for a significant length of time we will add replacement item charges to your account. More information is available on our Library restrictions and charges page.
- You can view your library account via the "Online Library" in StudyNet https://go.herts.ac.uk/online-library.
Please note that if you are unwell and unable to return your item on the due date please contact the Helpdesk on 01707 284678 or email@example.com so that your loan can be extended.
Reserve any loanable item from our bookshelves.
- Login to Library Search on StudyNet using your University username and password.
- Search for a book using Library Search or via your course reading list, available in your Canvas module.
- You won’t be able to request laptops, journals, or non-loan items from the archive.
- You can reserve items that are not available on the open shelves but do appear as loanable items in Library Search, such as DVDs
- Click on the link to the print item and on the book item details page select the ‘Reserve this item’ link.
- Select a collection location of College Lane or de Havilland LRC and click on ‘Place reservation’.
- Once you have submitted your request, we will process the item for you and send you an email and a Herts Mobile notification (if you have signed up for notifications) when they’re ready to collect.
- We will try to make the item available for collection as soon as possible.
- Please note that if your requested item is already out on loan to another user it will take longer for it to be made available to you.
- Once you have received confirmation that your item is ready to collect it will be placed on the reservation shelves in your selected LRC.
- Remember that you will need to self-issue the item before you leave the LRC.
- You have 5 calendar days to collect your reserved item before it is returned to general circulation and your reservation is cancelled.
- The ID (Library) card used to self-issue the reserved item must match the library account the item was reserved on.
- If you are unable to collect a reserved item because you are unwell or unable to travel to campus please contact the Helpdesk.
- You can view your library account on the self-issue machine and you will receive an automatic email confirming items have been returned.
- Make sure you have updated your student record with your current personal email address. Find out how at https://ask.herts.ac.uk/how-the-university-communicates-with-you
- View your library account via the "Online Library" in StudyNet https://go.herts.ac.uk/online-library.
- Get library notifications on the HertsMobile app.
- This complements our existing enhanced eBook access and may be especially helpful to students on placement, final year and postgraduate students working on dissertations and research, and students who are unwell or requiring additional accessibility support.
- If an electronic version of a library book is unavailable, you can request a scanned copy of a print book chapter, if we hold a physical copy in the LRC (Learning Resources Centres). Copyright restrictions will apply.
- Find out more: Request a Scan | Ask Herts | University of Hertfordshire
If you are unable to return loan item(s) to campus that are due back please follow the instructions below to use our free UK postal return service:
- Go to https://www.clicksit.com/herts/.
- Enter your email address and click the 'submit' button.
- A PDF postal delivery label will be emailed to you from clicksit.com (check your spam folder).
- Download and print the label, following any relevant instructions in the email.
- Package your item(s) securely in a jiffy-style envelope or box to ensure safe transit.
- There is a weight limit of 10kg per package so please repeat the process for a second package if required.
- Securely attach the label.
- Take your package(s) to one of 7500 local stores offering the CollectPlus service. To find your nearest store visit www.collectplus.co.uk/store-locator.
- Please keep your proof of posting receipt.
- You will be able to check your library account at https://library.herts.ac.uk/cgi-bin/koha/opac-user.pl. Please allow 10 working days to allow for delivery, item quarantine on arrival, and processing by library staff.
If you are no longer living in the UK please contact the Helpdesk.
If an item is not held at the University of Hertfordshire, an Inter-library loan can be requested.
Please note that retrieval of reference-only items (including printed theses) from the closed access collection will be available from 09 September.
Reference-only items kept in the closed access stack at the College Lane LRC have to be requested in advance using a Closed access retrieval form. They can be used only in the LRC and must be returned the same day as they are issued to you. Please download the form and open as Adobe PDF before completing and submitting it.
- Click on the Online Library on the top menu bar of StudyNet
- Type your search in the Library Search box
- Once you have found your item, either click on the location link or on the title link, select the Access information for Closed Access Collection link and complete the Closed Access Retrieval form.
- All items must be collected Monday to Friday after 10:00, the day after submitting your request.
- All items must be returned, Monday to Friday before 17:00 the same day the item is collected.
- When collecting or returning items please call the Library and Computing Services Helpdesk and wait at the LRC Welcome Desk where a member of staff will meet you.
If you need further help or assistance, please contact the Library and Computing Services Helpdesk
Please note that we no longer have any CDs for loan and that DVDs have been removed from the open shelves to the closed stack.
You may still borrow DVDs by searching on Library Search and requesting a reservation.