Skip to main content

Standard Visitor Visa (for study)

How to apply for a Standard Visitor visa if you are studying a course less than six months long or you are not eligible to apply for a Student visa

Who is eligible for a Standard Visitor visa to study?

You can apply for a Standard Visitor visa if you are:

  • Studying a short course up to 6 months long including Study Abroad
  • Returning to sit exams, repeat a module or attend a viva for less than 6 months
  • An external research student visiting campus for less than 6 months
  • Studying as a distance learner and are required to come on campus  e.g. for an induction, sit an exam or assessment

Where do I apply?

  • You must apply for entry clearance from any country outside of the UK if you are a Visa National
  • If your nationality does not appear on the Visa National List, then you may apply for a Standard Visitor visa at the border when you arrive in the UK.

When can I apply?

  • You can apply up to 3 months before your date of travel.

How do I apply?

  • Visa nationals:  apply online
  • Non-visa nationals: when you arrive in the UK you must see a border force officer who will stamp your passport or apply online
  • If you are a national from Australia, Canada, Japan, New Zealand, Singapore, South Korea or the USA you can use the eGates on arrival in the UK, however you must keep evidence of your date of arrival in the UK e.g. e-ticket, boarding pass

IMPORTANT:  if you travel to the UK via the Republic of Ireland, you will not be able to get a Standard Visitor visa when you enter the UK.  This is because when you travel in the Common Travel Area , you do not pass through UK immigration. 

We strongly advise that you take direct flights to the UK and not a connecting flight via Dublin/Ireland.

What documents will I need for the application?

For more information on documents see the Home Office website

Request a supporting letter from the University.


You cannot undertake any type of work on a Standard Visitor visa.  This includes work placements (paid or unpaid).  You will not be able to extend or switch to a different visa from within the UK and will need to leave the UK within 30 days of your course end date OR before your visa expires (whichever is sooner). 

If you are a distance learner on a course over 6 months long, UKVI may limit your stay in the UK to 56 days during the length of your visa.

For further information regarding Standard Visitor visas, please see the UKCISA website and the Home Office website.


Contact Us

Student Immigration Team (Advice)

Student Immigration Team (Advice & Compliance)

Today 2pm - 3:30pm
Wednesday at DeHav Hub
Ask Herts (Hutton Hub), College Lane