England has a number of national public holidays known as bank holidays. On these days, some of the University’s services will either be reduced or closed as staff enjoy a short break from work.
Service availability on Bank Holidays
Dean of Students
If you live close to campus or in on campus accommodation and need support, you can reach the Dean of Students Team through the University’s Security Number, +44 (0)1707 281010. Our out-of-hours team is available 24/7, so there is always someone you can call.
If you need a helping hand with a care package or food voucher and can get to campus to pick it up, please do reach out to us.
Learning Resource Centres (LRCs and helpdesk)
The College Lane and de Havilland LRCs are open 24/7 for Herts students and staff only.
Unfortunately, visitors (including children) are not permitted in our LRCs at this time.
Please continue to wear a face-covering if you are able to, and have your free coronavirus test before you visit.
Numbers in the LRCs continue to be controlled to allow for social distancing.
If the LRCs are full you can use one of the temporary alternative study spaces available on both campuses.
Find current LRC opening hours and any planned changes on the University website.
LRC Support services
- Please note there will be no technical support during bank holidays
- The University’s out-of-hours phone service (providing general support) is available 24/7 Tel: +44(0)1707 284678
- Online help is available 24/7. Search Ask Herts
- Please check the service status page at https://status.herts.ac.uk for the latest information on our service hours and remember to check this page before calling the Helpdesk to report a problem as we may already be working on it.
Don’t forget there is plenty of help about our library and IT services available online on Ask Herts.
Security and Emergencies
If you need any assistance during bank holidays, please contact our out of hours security team:
- Out of hours security +44 (0)1707 281010 (internal extension 1010)
- In cases of emergency, please call the Emergency Line:
- Emergency contact +44 (0)1707 285555 (internal extension 5555)
Food and drink on campus
For changes to opening hours of our cafes and restaurants, please use the links below:
For changes to Unobus services, please visit the Unobus website.
Upcoming bank holidays in England 2021
- Monday 30 August - Summer bank holiday
- Monday 27 December - Christmas Day (substitute day*)
- Tuesday 28 December - Boxing Day (substitute day*)
Bank holidays in England 2022
- Monday 3 January - New Year’s Day (substitute day*)
- Friday 15 April - Good Friday
- Monday 18 April - Easter Monday
- Monday 2 May - Early May bank holiday
- Thursday 2 June - Spring bank holiday
- Friday 3 June - Platinum Jubilee bank holiday
- Monday 29 August - Summer bank holiday
- Monday 26 December - Boxing Day
- Tuesday 27 December - Christmas Day (substitute day*)
*If a bank holiday is on a weekend, a ‘substitute’ weekday becomes a bank holiday, normally the following Monday.