England has a number of national public holidays known as bank holidays. On these days, some of the University’s services will either be reduced or closed as staff enjoy a short break from work.
2023 bank holidays in England
- Monday 2 January - New Year’s Day (substitute day*)
- Friday 07 April - Good Friday
- Monday 10 April - Easter Monday
- Monday 1 May - Early May bank holiday
- Monday 8 May - Bank holiday for the coronation of King Charles III
- Monday 29 May - Spring bank holiday
- Monday 28 August - Summer bank holiday
- Tuesday 29 August - additional University Holiday
- Monday 25 December - Christmas Day
- Tuesday 26 December - Boxing Day
- Monday 01 January 2024 - New Year's Day
*If a bank holiday is on a weekend, a ‘substitute’ weekday becomes a bank holiday, normally the following Monday.
Service availability on Bank Holidays
Dean of Students
If you live close to campus or you are living in campus accommodation and need support, you can reach the Dean of Students Team through the University’s Security Number, +44 (0)1707 281010. Our out-of-hours team is available 24/7, so there is always someone you can call.
If you need a helping hand with a care package or food voucher and can get to campus to pick it up, please do reach out to us.
Learning Resource Centres (LRCs and helpdesk)
The College Lane and de Havilland LRCs are open 24/7 for Herts students and staff on bank holidays and University closure dates. Self-service facilities will be available but we encourage you to plan ahead as some services such as inter-library loan collection, and printed poster collection will not be available on these days.
LRC Support services
- Please note there will be no library staff or on-site technical support during bank holidays
- The University’s out-of-hours phone service (providing general support) is available 24/7 Tel: +44(0)1707 284678
- Online help is available 24/7. Search Ask Herts
- Please check the service status page at status.herts.ac.uk for the latest information on our service hours and remember to check this page before calling the Helpdesk to report a problem as we may already be working on it.
Don’t forget there is plenty of help and guidance about using library and IT services available online on Ask Herts.
Security and Emergencies
If you need any assistance during bank holidays, please contact our out-of-hours security team:
- Out-of-hours security +44 (0)1707 281010 (internal extension 1010)
- In cases of emergency, please call the Emergency Line:
- Emergency contact +44 (0)1707 285555 (internal extension 5555)
Food and drink on campus
For changes to opening hours of our cafes and restaurants, please use the links below:
For changes to Unobus services, please visit the Unobus website.