What is the VPN (virtual private network)?
The VPN gives you access to University of Hertfordshire licensed services. Your device - wherever you may be - will appear as if it's connected to the University's network, enabling you to access the services that are otherwise only available on campus.
You are encouraged to use the VPN whenever you use University services. You should always add the https:// prefix to URLs for websites that use your personal data.
https://vpnsetup.herts.ac.uk explains how to install and use the software required to access the VPN at Herts.
When would I need to use the VPN?
When you need to use services only available on campus and you are:
- off campus
- using your own device over WiFi on campus
- you're told that you need to "go through the VPN"
How do I use the VPN?
Follow the instructions at https://vpnsetup.herts.ac.uk
Remember you need to log in to the VPN services using your email@example.com
Once you have downloaded the VPN application you may have to look for it in your hidden icons tray (Windows PC).
Can I access services protected by the VPN without installing anything?
A limited range of the services available through the VPN can be accessed at uhvpn.herts.ac.uk (Secure Access Service website) without the need to download the VPN client first. Please note that the Remote Desktop service is unavailable through the Secure Access Service website.
VPN and multi-factor authentication (MFA)
- As an additional security measure, staff and students are required to authenticate VPN access with multi-factor authentication (MFA).
- Students can find out how to set up or manage MFA devices at https://ask.herts.ac.uk/multifactor-authentication-mfa
How do I keep up to date? The VPN application will occasionally prompt you to upgrade to the latest version of the software.
Please note that the VPN logo on your devices will now appear as Ivanti Secure (formally Pulse Secure).
Windows 7 and Windows 8 devices.
- Windows 7 (W7) and Windows 8.0 (W8) devices are blocked from accessing the University Network through the VPN (virtual private network).
- These are no longer supported by Microsoft and do not receive security updates.
- In order to identify these devices and block them from our network, the VPN service must check every device before allowing access, regardless of your device's operating system.
Staff and students using the VPN app should not notice any difference and we recommend this as the best way to access the VPN
Staff and students using the web browser version of the VPN (uhvpn.herts.ac.uk) will need to follow the on-screen instructions to allow the host checker software to download to your device. This may take a few minutes.
You will need to have an up-to-date version of java on your device and may also be prompted to update this before proceeding.
Please contact the Helpdesk if you need help getting set up:
- Available 24/7: Telephone: +44 (0)1707 284678
- During working hours: Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- During working hours: Online:https://helpdesk.herts.ac.uk/login
Please be alert for fraudulent emails, spam, phishing attacks, and unexpected pop-up messages on your device.