Skip to main content

Council Tax Exemption

Some students are exempt from paying Council Tax - find out if you are eligible for exemption and how to apply.

To be considered you must be studying for at least 21 hours a week for at least 24 weeks a year. Usually that means you will be classified as a 'full time' student but some part time students may be eligible too.

Pre-sessional English students

Contact us to discuss whether you are eligible

When to apply for Council Tax exemption

Apply for Council Tax exemption if:

  • You move into an off campus property - If you live in university managed halls of residence you do not need to apply for Council Tax exemption at that address
  • You move to a different off campus property
  • You start a new academic year
  • You transfer course
  • Your council informs you that they have not received your exemption certificate


Where to request Council Tax exemption

I am a consortium college student Contact your college
I am an HIC student Contact HIC
I study at the University of Hertfordshire Continue to step 1

1. Check that you are eligible

You must be a full time student to be eligible for Council Tax exemption.

I only live with other full time students or student nurses You are likely to be exempt from Council Tax - each student will need to apply for exemption.
I live with others who are not full time students e.g., my parents

The property may be eligible for a Council Tax discount or exemption.


Contact your local council to discuss exemption before you apply - then apply if you are eligible.

2. Register

You must be a fully registered student to request Council Tax exemption.

  • New students, you must have registered on your course
  • Returning students, you must have re-enrolled

3. Request exemption

  1. Access your student record
  2. Make sure that your current year of study is selected
  3. In the Updates section, click on Council Tax Exemption
  4. Follow the instructions to request exemption certificate

4. Receive your Council Tax exemption certificate via email

We will email the exemption certificate to your email address on file.  If there are any problems processing your Council Tax exemption request we will email you.

During busy periods it could take between 4-6 weeks to receive your certificate.

** Please be aware the following Councils do not accept certificates via email and you will need to contact them directly to enquire how they would like their certificate received: **

  • Aylesbury Vale District Council
  • Barnet Council
  • Luton Borough Council
  • Harrow Council
  • Hounslow Council
  • Newham Council
  • St. Albans City and District Council
  • Swale Borough Council
  • Westminster Council

Request a certificate for a previous year

I am still registered on the same course and I am still living in the same property Complete the steps above
I am now on a different course or have moved accommodation

Email us (details below)

In the email include:

  • Your name
  • Student number
  • Address where the certificate is required
  • Name of your council
  • Council reference number (if you have one)
  • Duration for which you expect the certificate to cover (i.e., the start and end dates of your course)
I have graduated
I have withdrawn from the university

Common queries

Answers to some common council tax related questions.

Contact Us

Council Tax Queries

Student Enquiries and Enrolment Team (SEET)

Today 09:00 - 17:00
Hutton Hub, College Lane