Skip to main content

Specialist Disability Services

More information about the specific support we can provide.

At the university we are able to offer students a range of specialist support including:

Disability Advisers

The team of Disability Advisers work with our disabled students to agree and arrange any disability-related support and adjustments needed for their studies.  If you have a disability, it is strongly recommended that you make contact with a Disability Adviser either before you join the University or when you register.

Please see our Meet the Team and What to Expect when Meeting a Disability Advisor page to find out more!

Specialist Study Skills Tuition

Specialist 1:1 Tuition is primarily awarded through your Disabled Students Allowance (DSA), however if you have a disability, but are not eligible for DSA funding we can normally cover the cost of this service through the UH Disability Fund.  Please come and talk to us if you are unsure about which funding method is right for you.


Assistive Technology

If students are awarded equipment but there is a delay in the delivery, there are some opportunities for students to borrow alternatives on a short-term basis.  Some of the AT available includes digital voice recorders, specialist software, magnifiers, hearing radio aids, Livescribe pens, reading pens, ergonomic keyboards, and mice. 

Please also see here for more information on the DSA Computer Equipment Grant

For students who are not eligible for the Disabled Students Allowance but who have a disability, Student Wellbeing may be able to provide loan equipment to support you through your studies.

Specialist Mentoring

The University work closely with specialist mentors who support students with Asperger’s Syndrome, Autistic Spectrum Conditions and Mental Health difficulties.  The mentors have a range of skills and experience of working with disabled students in a higher education setting.

Mentoring supports students to access university life and academia. A mentor will work closely with you to develop strategies to maximise your independent skills. They can work with you to support you with all aspects of your studies.

Mentoring is often awarded as part of your DSA needs assessment.  Your Disability Adviser will talk this through with you and discuss your needs. If you do not have a DSA in place but have a disability and feel that you would benefit from this service, please discuss this with your Disability Adviser.


Diagnostic Assessment Service

The University are pleased to be able to offer students a diagnostic service to determine if you have a Specific Learning Difficulty such as Dyslexia or Dyspraxia, or a Non-Verbal Learning Difficulty.

If you are seeking an assessment for ADHD/ADD you should seek this diagnosis from your GP.  This service is available to all students and staff at the University. 

To apply for a Disabled Students Allowance for specific learning difficulties such as dyslexia you must have a full diagnostic assessment.

Full diagnostic assessments identify your key areas of strength and provide evidence of your difficulties.  The report produced after your assessment will contain recommendations for teaching and learning strategies. The assessor will also ask for some background information about your previous educational experiences and any relevant medical history.


Needs Assessment Service

A Needs Assessment is recommended when you are eligible for Disabled Students' Allowance.

The Needs Assessment will identify any support which you would benefit from during your studies. Your Needs Assessor will write a Needs Assessment Report which will list and justify any recommended Assistive Technology and Specialist Support you will need, how much it will cost, where to get it from, and any Specialist Training you may need to make best use of the Assistive Technology.


Support Workers and Communication Support

The University of Hertfordshire has many support workers on its books to help you with e.g., notetaking, library support and physical support.

We also have a close working relationship with specialist organisations that can provide different types of support workers for disabled people, for example: Communicator / British Sign Language Interpreter, Professional Notetaker, Personal Education Assistant, Language support. If you require a support worker, contact your Disability Adviser who will make arrangements for you.

Mental Wellbeing

Mental health, good, bad, or indifferent affects all of us. You don’t have to be mentally ill to experience mental health issues. It is widely reported that 1 in 4 people will experience a mental health difficulty at some stage in life.

Our mental health team are here to support students who have longer term or more complex mental health difficulties.  Some people who get support from this team will have a diagnosed mental health condition.  For others they might be experiencing difficulties for the first time or going through a shorter-term difficulty. If you are struggling with your mental health, you are not alone.

If you think you might benefit from support from our mental health team but are unsure if it is for you, come and talk to us and we can give you all the information you need to help you to decide. Please contact our student wellbeing department:

Contact Us

Student Wellbeing

Today - Closed
Student Wellbeing is closed at weekends and during holiday periods.
Hutton Hub, College Lane