Skip to main content

Registration checks for new students

Information about registration for new students and those that are returning to a new programme of study who have completed online registration

Registration Portal 

You can access all steps of the registration process via the Registration Portal. From setting up your Student Record, completing Online Registration through to booking your face-to-face Registration appointment (necessary only for international students). Click the link above to access.

Liability Date

The liability date for newly registered students starting a programme in Semester B is 5th February 2024. More information can be seen on our Tuition Fees FAQ page.

Registration checks

Your registration checks will be completed by our Student Enquiries & Enrolment Team. Depending on your status, you will be asked to complete at least one of the following options:

  • Upload your identification documents to our Registration Document Portal
  • If required, you will be invited to book a slot to attend an face-to-face appointment on campus

Your Registration Portal will show the various steps required prior to fully completing registration 

Please follow the steps listed under 'Complete your Registration'.

Once satisfied that you have met the criteria for us to complete your registration, your student record will be marked ready to register.  The earliest you could become a fully registered student is 40 days prior to the start date of your course.  Once you are a fully registered student of the University of Hertfordshire you will incur any applicable tuition fees in line with the University’s Fees and Finance Policy.  The University will then notify Student Finance England (or the relevant awarding body) of your registration.

You can see your registration status on your Student Record, this should change from Self-Registered to Registered.  If this is taking an unusually long time (more than a couple of days) please check that you have provided your documents and check that you do not have any outstanding email requests for further documentation.  If you think you should now be registered but your student record has not updated, please contact

Documents required

In order to be fully registered you on your course, we will require you to have provided all required documents to our documents portal as part of the Online Registration process.

You must provide the following in order for us to complete your registration:

  • Home Students: Your passport or birth certificate and driving licence. A copy of your passport or birth certificate with your original driving licence is accepted. You must meet the criteria for a British citizen to register using your birth certificate.

  • EU/EEA/Switzerland students already living in the UK: Your passport, your Home Office decision letter under EU Settlement Scheme and your personal sharecode.
  • EU/EEA/Switzerland students entering UK on study visa: Your passport and your Home Office Decision Letter confirming status and your personal share code.  
  • International students (non-student visa students): Your passport and proof of your immigration status e.g. Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) or Home Office letter.

  • Student Visa students: Your passport, your 90 day vignette (with UK entry stamp) and your BRP collection letter or Full visa application.

If have asked for your BRP to be sent to the University then the aim is for you to be able to collect at your face-to-face registration appointment. Note that this will depend upon their release and delivery from the Home Office.

If you have asked for your BRP to be sent to the Post Office you must collect your BRP before you can register.

Additional registration documents for nationals of Australia, Canada, Japan, New Zealand, Singapore, South Korea or the United States of America

 If you are a national from one of these countries, you must also upload one of the following documents to show your arrival date to the UK: 

  • Copy of flight details/booking itinerary showing your arrival date to UK
  • Copy of a boarding pass for your flight arriving in the UK

This document can be in paper format or available on your phone to show to staff. 


You will not be able to register without providing the correct Personal Identification.

Financial Information:

  • Your Student Finance England assessment/correspondence if you are expecting a student loan.
  • Formal, written confirmation of funding if you are being sponsored by a private company. We require either a letter from your sponsor on headed paper or a completed and signed ‘Agreement to Sponsor’ form.

Need help or advice?

You can contact the Student Records and Enrolment team at If you need to contact us, please include your name and student ID number.

If you have a disability, difficulty or additional need and you would like to discuss alternative options or support available for registration, please contact

We look forward to welcoming you to the University of Hertfordshire.