Skip to main content

Tier 4 & Student visa holders working in the UK

Many international students are allowed to work whilst studying in the UK, however, there are certain restrictions on the type of work that you can do.

Who can work?

Check your BRP card or vignette for the number of hours you are allowed to work. If you think that your working hours' restriction is incorrect, please contact the Student Immigration Team (Advice) as soon as possible to get the error corrected before you start working. Working in breach of your visa conditions is a criminal offence.

  • Most Tier 4/Student visa holders are permitted to work 10 or 20 hours per week during term-time depending on which course they are studying.
  • For courses below  degree level, you can work up to 10 hours per week during term-time and full-time during vacations.
  • For courses at degree level or above, you can work up to 20 hours per week during term-time and full-time during vacations.

Please note that if you are working for the University of Hertfordshire, the number of hours you are permitted to work is restricted and will be less than the number of hours stated on your BRP card or vignette. 

Students taking part in the Go Herts Award scheme are responsible for monitoring their hours on these activities - these count towards your weekly working limit. 

Contact the HR team with any questions about working for UH on a Tier 4/Student visa.


What type of work?


  • Part-time employment that is paid or unpaid
  • Work placement as part of a course that is paid or unpaid
  • Volunteering as long as it meets the definition in the Student route caseworker guidance (Volunteering)

Not permitted:

  • Self-employment e.g. freelancing, working from  home, selling your own products such as artwork or jewellery
  • Engaging in business or any professional activity
  • Doctor or dentist in training
  • Professional sportsperson/sports coach
  • Entertainer (including modelling)
  • Sole trader e.g. eBay, Amazon, Etsy
  • Online business
  • Delivery person as a contractor e.g. Deliveroo, Uber, DPD, MyHermes etc.
  • Direct sales e.g. Avon, Amway, Thermomix etc.
  • Internship or work placement that is not an integral and assessed part of a course
  • Fill a full-time permanent position

For further information please see the UKCISA blogUKCISA websiteSIT(Advice) StudyNet page and SIT(Compliance) guide

Contact Us

Student Immigration Team (Advice)

Student Immigration Team (Advice & Compliance)

Today - Closed
Please note that our drop-in service is currently suspended. If you wish to see a member of the team please email
Ask Herts (Hutton Hub), College Lane