Both LRCs are open 24/7 for a range of group and individual study activities.
Find out how to make the best use of LRC spaces for engaging in online teaching sessions.
- Plan ahead so you have enough time to find the right spot for your activity and to get logged in and set up.
- Check you know how to log in and what software is needed. This may take a while if it is your first time. Find out more about getting started with MS Teams and Zoom on Ask Herts
- Choose a suitable space where you won’t disturb others who are studying quietly.
- Get connected to campus Wi-Fi (eduroam) if you are using your own device. Get connected to campus Wi-Fi
- Check your device connections. You’ll need a webcam and mic if you want to be seen and heard. Our LRC Macs, Chromebook loans, and many of the Windows PCs have integrated webcams and mics.
- Get out your headphones so you won't disturb others, especially in quiet and silent study areas.
Recommended spots for group sessions:
- Group study rooms: Ideal for groups, ranging in size from 4 to 12-seater rooms. Book online at https://www.studyrooms.herts.ac.uk. You can book up to 5 hours per week up to 10 days in advance.
- Group study booths: Ideal for smaller groups. Some are kitted out with built-in screens to plug in your device and share your screen.
- Please do not use the quiet and silent study areas for group activity.
Etiquette: Webcams, video, and audio recordings in the LRCs
- Be considerate of others while participating in online sessions.
- As a matter of courtesy and to avoid dispute, please do not deliberately record or share videos or audio of others without their prior permission.
- All LRC users should be aware that they may be inadvertently captured in other users' videos and audio.
- Reminder: All other forms of filming or audio capture in the LRCs are only permitted within a Group Study Room.
Where is the webcam on an LRC Windows PC?
- Simply lift up the webcam from the back of the screen.
What kind of headset do I need?
- All LRC PCs have a USB port for you to plug in a USB-connected headset; most PCs also have a 3.5mm headphone jack socket.
- Wireless headphones (Bluetooth) won't work with our LRC PCs.
Where can I get a headset?
- We don't supply headsets with our PCs so you will need to bring your own.
- A headset with an inbuilt mic and USB connection will give you the most flexibility in using LRC devices.
- You can purchase suitable headsets at several local retailers in Hatfield.
Can I use an LRC Chromebook to participate in online classes?
- Yes, our LRC Chromebook loans come with integrated webcams and mics.
- You can borrow a Chromebook loan for up to 12 hours to use both inside and outside the LRC but remember to return it on time to the LRC you borrowed it from.
- You will need to stay on campus for it to connect to eduroam Wi-Fi. Find out more about Chromebook loans.
Can I borrow a computer for more than 12 hours?
- Yes, subject to availability. Find out more on our computer loans for students page (terms and conditions apply)