Find the right study space for you
Both LRCs are open 24/7 for group and individual study activities so whether you are looking for a space to participate in a live teaching session, watch a pre-recorded class or learn online there is a space for you.
- Plan ahead
- Attending an online session - as a group
- Attending an online session - as an individual
- Etiquette: webcams, video, and audio recordings in the LRCs
Whether in the LRCs or other study spaces on campus, with a little forward planning you can improve your experience of watching or participating in online teaching sessions. See our handy checklist to help you plan ahead:
- Location – find the right spot. If you need a dedicated spot where you won’t disturb others, take a look at our group and individual spaces available in the LRCs for participating in online sessions.
- Equipment – if you need to turn on your camera so that others can see you, as well as speak and listen, then you’ll need a device with a webcam and mic. Our LRC Macs and Chromebook loans all come with integrated webcams and we’re installing new PCs with webcams and mics in both LRCs.
- Headset – if you are listening to a session in an open or silent study area remember to bring headphones so you won't disturb others.
- Get connected - connect to the campus Wi-Fi (eduroam) if you are using your own device. Get connected to campus Wi-Fi
- Time – allow enough time to get set up and be ready for your session
- Software – make sure you know what software you need and how to log in. This may take a while if it is your first time. Find out more about getting started with MS Teams and Zoom on Ask Herts
Attending an online session in the LRC
If you want to listen along to an online session with other students, then choose a spot where you can hear the session and participate without disturbing other LRC users. Recommended spaces include:
- Group study rooms: Available in both LRCs and most suitable for tuning into an online session with others. They range in size from 4 to 8 seater rooms. New PCs with integrated webcams are available in first floor group study rooms at the College Lane LRC and are being installed in the de Havilland LRC group study rooms. You can also bring your own device or borrow one of our Chromebook loans which come with a built in webcam and mic.
- Group study booths: Available on the ground floor of the College Lane LRC and are ideal for smaller groups. Some are kitted out with built in screens to plug in your device and share your screen. You can book a group study room online at https://www.studyrooms.herts.ac.uk. You can book up to 5 hours per week up to 10 days in advance. More information can be found at: ask.herts.ac.uk/study-spaces-on-campus
If you need an individual space where you can watch and participate in an online session without disturbing other LRC users, we recommend the following spaces:
- Flexible Learning suite (CL LRC first floor – 1J136): Single seater soundproofed booths and PCs with integrated webcams which are designed for individual online learning. You can also bring your own device or use a Chromebook loan.
- Smaller study rooms or booths: Available if you are looking for a private, quiet spot to participate in an online session.
- Open study areas: Use one of the individual study spaces and bring your own device or use one of the LRC Macs or Chromebook loans which all come with integrated webcams. New PCs with webcams and mics are available in the open study areas on the first floor College Lane LRC and second floor de Havilland LRC.
- allow yourself enough time to find a PC in a suitable space and get logged in.
- remember to bring headphones so you won't disturb others if you are using the LRC open study areas. See What kind of headset do I need?
- if you need to participate in an online session, please be considerate of other LRC users and avoid using our quiet and silent study areas.
- Please be aware that some LRC users will be participating in online sessions in the LRCs and using webcams and video on PCs or mobile devices.
- Be considerate of others while participating in online sessions and aware that you may be inadvertently captured in other users' video and audio if you are nearby.
- Reminder: All other forms of filming or audio capture in the LRCs are only permitted within a Group Study Room.
- As a matter of courtesy and to avoid dispute, please do not deliberately record or share video or audio of others without their prior permission.
Our LRCs have group and individual spaces available for watching and participating in online sessions.
de Havilland Learning Resources Centre:
- Open study area on second floor
- Study rooms on first and second floor
College Lane Learning Resources Centre:
- Open study area on first floor
- Study rooms on first floor
- New flexible learning suite on first floor (1J136)
LRC Mac PCs and Chromebook loans have integrated Webcams and are available in both LRCs.
We have installed new desktop PCs with integrated webcams in the following areas:
- CL LRC group study rooms on the first floor
- CL LRC open study areas on the first floor
- DH LRC open study areas on the second floor
- And coming soon to DH LRC group study rooms
Simply lift up the webcam from the back of the screen.
All LRC PCs have a USB port for you to plug in a USB connected headset; most PCs also have a 3.5mm headphone jack socket.
Please be aware that wireless headphones won't work with our LRC PCs.
- We don't supply headsets with our PCs so you will have to bring your own.
- A headset with an inbuilt mic and USB connection will give you the most flexibility in using LRC devices.
- You can purchase suitable headsets at several local retailers in Hatfield.
You don't need to book a space or ask permission to engage in your online teaching sessions in the LRCs. When choosing 'your' study space plan ahead to choose one that best suits your activity and your study preferences.
You can book a group study room online at https://www.studyrooms.herts.ac.uk. You can book up to 5 hours per week up to 10 days in advance. More information can be found at: ask.herts.ac.uk/study-spaces-on-campus
Please remember to be considerate of other LRC users, especially in the quiet and silent study areas.
Yes our LRC Chromebook loans come with integrated webcams and mics. You can borrow a Chromebook loan for up to 24 hours to use both inside and outside the LRC but remember to return it on time to the LRC you borrowed it from. You will need to stay on campus for it to connect to eduroam Wi-Fi. Find out more about Chromebook loans
If you do not have your own device, please make sure you allow yourself enough time to find a PC in a suitable space and get logged in.