We have a range of computers, Macs, and specialist software PCs available for you to use:
- Macs, Chromebook loans, and the majority of Windows PCs come with integrated webcams. Find out more about using LRC PCs to learn online.
- Please bring your own headphones. All LRC PCs have a USB port for you to plug in a USB-connected headset; most PCs also have a 3.5mm headphone jack socket.
Please be aware that wireless headphones won't work with our LRC PCs.
- If you need any help finding your way around the LRCs, please ask a member of staff.
Log out of your computer when you take a break and ensure you have saved your work as LRC computers will log off after a set period of inactivity. This is to protect people's personal information and accounts.
- After 5 minutes the screen will lock, but you should always lock your screen if you step away. This is to protect your personal information.
- After 30 minutes the device will log out
- The device will shut down between 10 - 15 minutes after logout
Need to change the language setting on an LRC PC keyboard?
You can change the language input on an LRC PC to either Japanese or Chinese. Shortcuts to do this are available on the desktop of the PC. To change the language input:
- Double-click on the language shortcut icon on the desktop of the LRC PC
- Log out of the PC and then log back in for the settings to take effect
- Once logged back in with the new language settings you can choose the required characters
Please note that double-clicking on either of the language shortcuts will automatically switch the language back to English if a non-English language has been previously set.
You can borrow a laptop (Chromebook) for free from one of our Learning Resources Centres at any time for use on campus.
Chromebooks are great for web browsing and using office software and are light enough to be used anywhere on campus.
- 4 and 12-hour loans available
- Laptop loan lockers are located on the ground floor and the first floor of each LRC – follow the signage
- No need to pre-book: available on a first-come, first-served basis
- Up to 8 hours of battery life. If you need to work longer than this, please consider using one of our LRC desktop PCs.
- Use anywhere on campus. Laptops connect to the eduroam campus Wi-Fi. Please note that laptops will not work off campus and can only be used with the campus Wi-Fi.
For more information please see ask.herts.ac.uk/computer-loans-for-herts-students#Chromebook_laptop_loan
If you need to borrow a device for a longer period you can use our long-term PC loan service. Find out more here: ask.herts.ac.uk/computer-loans-for-herts-students#long-term_PC_loan
Specialist software is available to use on PCs in our Learning Resources Centre (LRC) Technology Suites. We have two Technology Suites in the College Lane LRC and one in the de Havilland LRC. PCs in these suites have been configured with specialist software and are prioritised for use by those students studying Creative Arts, Digital Animation, Computer Science, and Engineering.
Before you visit, please note that PCs cannot be booked and are available on a first come first served basis.
To find out more about software available on our specialist PCs please see ask.herts.ac.uk/software-availability-at-uh#Specialist_software_in_LRCs
Bring your own device and access free power and Wi-Fi. We also have some large monitors on the ground floor of both LRCs which you can connect your laptop to and see your work on a bigger screen.
When using your own device:
- Ensure this is done safely and be careful not to leave cables trailing as this is a trip hazard
- Use the power sockets provided on the worktops, but please do not disconnect other devices, or lift up the floor plates.
- If the power is not working at your desk, please let Welcome Desk or Helpdesk staff know .