Skip to main content

Student Letters

Information about how to request a letter to prove you are a student

Letters cannot be requested until you are fully registered as a student- this means you have completed registration i.e. completed your online (stage 1) and uploaded your documents or attended in person (stage 2) booking and the University has registered you.

You will know this as you will appear as "Registered" on your student record home pages. If fully registered, you can obtain a student status letter up to 40 days prior to the start date of your course.

If you have just completed your registration, please wait at least 24 hours before requesting your letter. Student letters only confirm the study dates for the current academic year - you therefore are required to request a new letter each academic year.

Why you might need this letter
  • To prove to third parties that you are a student, including army exemption
  • To open a bank account*
  • To apply for a National Insurance Number
  • To show the University term, semester and vacation dates to an employer or other third party
  • To apply for a travel visa
  • To show to an Immigration Officer when you re-enter the UK after travel abroad (please note that this is not a legal requirement)
  • To enable your relatives or friends to visit you in the UK

*It isn't always a requirement to have a student status letter to open a bank account, most students can open an account with their UCAS letter and UCAS ID number.

Further information can be viewed on the UCAS Opening a UK bank account video.

*If you are an international studentyou may require a letter from the University but should checkwith the bank/building society first.

UKCISA offers some information on the types of account that are available to International Students using traditional high street banks, but you may also want to consider an online bank as an alternative.

Council Tax Exemption Certificate

Some students are exempt from paying council tax - find out if you are eligible for exemption and how to apply.

To support visa applications for guests to attend graduation

Please visit  Letter to support a UK Visa application for a Graduation Ceremony | Graduation (

How to request your letter

Herts students

  1. Ensure your details (including your addresses) are correct on your student record.  (The letter will replicate this information
  2. Request your student letter
  3. You will be prompted to log in to your UH student account and authenticate
  4. Click submit
  5. Your letter will be sent to your personal email address (the email address on your student record). This should arrive within 15 minutes of making the request
  6. Check your junk folder, just in case it has arrived there.
  7. Not received your letter?  The main cause of this is because your student status hasn't fully updated to "registered" as yet. You can normally get your letter 24 hours after fully completing stage 2 registration. But please be patient as systems update periodically. 

NB: You'll only be able to obtain a letter once you are fully registered as a new or returning student and will not be able to access a letter in the period between academic years, including Summer vacation times.  If you require an essential letter in the Summer vacation period, please use the contact us button at the bottom of the page (requests may take up to 5 working days to be processed).

Research students (registered on PhD programmes)

If you are a research student, please request your student status letter by e-mailing the Doctoral College: 

HIC students

Unfortunately, we are unable to support students that study at Hertfordshire International College (HIC); please visit the HIC Office on the College Lane Campus, or contact the team via telephone 01707 285590 or email

Students registered with any other associated institutions (e.g. colleges, Pen Green, overseas institutions)

Please contact your institution directly to request confirmation of your study.

Contact Us

Ask Hutton

Student Enquiries and Enrolment Team (SEET)

Today 11:00 - 16:00
Due to Staff Training, Ask Herts will be closed on Monday 1st July.

Ask de Havilland

Student Enquiries and Enrolment Team (SEET)

Today 11:00 - 16:00

Ask Innovation

Student Enquiries and Enrolment Team (SEET)

Today - Closed
The Innovation Centre will be closed from Monday 13th May over the summer period and will re-open around Semester A. Apologies for any inconvenience caused. Please visit us in the Hutton Hub at the bottom of College Lane campus, or in our De Havilland Hub for any queries.