The University of Hertfordshire is committed to supporting all communities at Herts, including those who identify as LGBTQ+ (lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans, queer, non-binary, or any of the sexualities, genders and identities that fall under the plus). The University will at no time discriminate against people on the grounds of their gender identity/expression or sexual orientation and is actively working to advance LGBTQ+ equality across the institution.
The University has two active networks:
LGBT+ student society
Herts SU LGBT+ student society represents LGBTQ+ students at Herts by working closely with the Students' Union, LGBTQ+ Staff Network, and the Equality Diversity and Inclusion Office to help improve life on campus for LGBT+ students. The society also runs regular support groups and events. Find out more about the LGBT+ Student Society.
LGBTQ+ staff network
The Univesity has an active LGBTQ+ staff network. The LGBTQ+ staff network organises regular meetups and events, shares advice around LGBTQ+ issues, and has a voice within the university to influence decision and policy making. The LGBTQ+ staff network is supported by the Equality Diversity and Inclusion Office.
LGBTQ+ University Initiatives:
- Stonewall Diversity Champions Programme. The University is a member of the Stonewall Diversity Champion programme and is committed to further embedding LGBTQ+ inclusion for our staff and students. The University is also in the process of applying for the Stonewall Workplace Equality Index over the next few months.
- LGBTQ+ Mentoring Programme. The LGBTQ+ Mentoring Programme is open to staff and students and aims to empower and support our LGBTQ+ staff and students to achieve their potential at Herts.
- Gender Neutral Toilets. Gender-Neutral Toilets have been rolled out across the University since 2018. These toilets can be used by people of any sex, gender or gender identity.
- Staff LGBTQ+ Allies. The Equality Diversity and Inclusion Office run an LGBTQ+ Allies initiative which is open to staff members employed by the University of Hertfordshire. Members of staff signed up to the initiative where a rainbow UH lanyard, are committed to advancing LGBTQ+ equality and are equipped with the tools to support LGBTQ+ colleagues and students on campus.
- Equality Diversity and Inclusion Office. The EDI Office can signpost to support available for Trans and non-binary students and students who identify as LGBTQ+. As well as offer confidential advice on bullying, harassment, and discrimination cases through Dignity and Respect Advisers or the Report and Support system
- EDI Training. The Equality Diversity and Inclusion Office run free online training sessions open to staff and students including the ABC of LGBT+ and an introduction to Trans and Gender Diverse Identities.
The Equality Diversity and Inclusion Office along with the LGBT+ Student Society and LGBTQ+ staff network run diversity events throughout the year to raise awareness and educate.
The events are free and open to staff and students.
Past events include:
- LGBT+ History Month (February)
- Trans Day of Visibility (March)
- Pride Month (June)
- Trans Awareness Week (November)
If you would like any support or have a query, please contact the EDI Office via firstname.lastname@example.org and a member of the team will be in touch within 3 working days.
The Student Wellbeing Team have put together a useful list of self help resources and other sources of support: