For security purposes, all students are required to wear their ID Card whilst on campus. Your ID Card not only identifies you but also allows you access to University buildings and facilities.
Your first ID Card
You cannot be issued with an ID card until you have completed Online (Stage 1) registration.
Home/EU students - please collect your ID card at your earliest convenience from any of the Ask Herts Hubs
International students - your ID card will be issued when you attend your Registration slot. This is also where you can also collect your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP)
If you do not need a BRP, please just visit an Ask Herts hub.
What to bring with you
ID cards can only be collected in person and you must bring another form of photographic ID (digital or photocopies will be accepted) with you (e.g. a passport, full or provisional driving license).
Your ID card is valid for the duration of your programme of study, therefore you will not be issued with a new ID card each year. If you lose your ID card, you will need to buy a replacement card.
Using your ID card
After collecting your ID card, you will need to update it at one of the update points.
You will need to wait 20 mins before doing this to allow our ID systems to update.
There are ID card update points around campus, including the Learning Resources Centre (LRC) entrance gates.
- At the LRC you will need to hold the card down on top of the gate (on your right-hand side) for around 30 seconds.
- We recommend removing the card from its plastic holder / your wallet to do this.
- The gate will open once the card has been updated.
- Please be patient and try not to remove your card during this time.
- The next time you use your ID card to enter the LRC it will open immediately if you have correctly updated it as above.
- You may have to update it again if you only use your ID card infrequently.
If you are a new student, you will need to allow 24 hours after collecting your ID card to be able to use it on the print, copy and scan devices on campus.
You will need your student ID card in the Learning Resources Centres (LRCs) to:
- Borrow books
- Borrow and return laptops
- Use the print, copy and scan devices on campus
- Uno shuttle bus to get your student rate
Virtual ID cards
Once you have completed registration, download the Herts Mobile App where you can access your virtual ID card.
Virtual ID can be used for:
- Proof that you are a student or member of staff at the University
- Access to both College Lane and de Havilland LRC
- Proof of eligibility for any discounted UH ticket on UNO bus
Currently, you cannot use your virtual ID card to borrow books or laptops from the LRCs, and you cannot use this to register your attendance.
Please note that when on campus you must still have your physical ID card visible for security reasons.