We are here to support you to get the best out of your time at the University of Hertfordshire. It is important that you are engaging with your studies by attending on campus and online teaching sessions as well as accessing the material and support available on Canvas. See our Engagement Policy.
- What do I need to do?
- Monitoring your engagement
- View your engagement data
- How to get help
- Find out more
- Register your attendance each time you attend classes on campus by swiping your ID card on an electronic Check-In reader in the room at the start of your teaching session. See Using the attendance readers for more information.
- Log into your Canvas module regularly to access your learning and teaching resources which will register how you are engaging with your course.
Please note that Tier 4/Student visa students are required to engage in mandatory attendance checks to ensure that the University remains compliant with Home Office regulations. For more information see: ask.herts.ac.uk/international-student-attendance.
We are here to support you every step of the way to make sure you are getting the help you need when you need it.
Where our records show that over a two-week period, you have not swiped your ID card on any of the campus readers or logged into your Canvas module we will:
- Send you a reminder email to log onto your modules and swipe in at your on-campus teaching sessions.
If you are an international student, you will receive an email if you have not swiped in for two weeks, even if you have logged on to Canvas during that time. This is to evidence compliance with student visa regulations. More information for international students ask.herts.ac.uk/international-student-attendance
- Provide contact details for pastoral support, ID card queries, and the Helpdesk for login issues.
- After four weeks, a further reminder email will be sent. If our records continue to indicate that you are not engaging with your studies this may affect your ability to continue on your course. See our Engagement Policy for further information.
To ensure you receive emails from the University, please visit the Ask Herts page on managing your emails to and from the University.
Please see how to get help below for information on what to do if you are struggling to engage with your studies.
You can view your engagement data via your My Learning Dashboard on your StudyNet homepage. Here you will find learning data related to your academic progress and course engagement. Your personal tutor will have access to this data and will use this and your course engagement information to help support your academic progress and wellbeing.
For more information about how we are using your learning data to help you make the most of your studies here at the University of Hertfordshire please see My Learning Dashboard ask.herts.ac.uk/my-learning-dashboard.
- If you have been unable to engage with your studies due to a health, medical, mental health, or disability-related reason there is a dedicated team of staff who can offer you advice, guidance, and support. Contact our Student Wellbeing team:
- If you have lost or have a problem with your ID card please contact email@example.com More information about ID cards can be found on Ask Herts as follows: ask.herts.ac.uk/replacement-id-cards-lost-damaged-stolen and ask.herts.ac.uk/student-id-cards
- If you are unable to log into StudyNet/Canvas please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you have another issue preventing you from engaging in your studies, please contact your personal tutor.
For more information about the Personal Tutoring support available to support you during your studies here at Herts please see ask.herts.ac.uk/personal-tutoring.
For more information about how we are using your learning data to help you make the most of your studies here at the University of Hertfordshire please see ask.herts.ac.uk/my-learning-dashboard.