Skip to main content

Request for voluntary suspension from your studies (Defer)

Students may wish to suspend their studies for a variety of reasons. Support and guidance is available at the University, to foster the decision-making of those contemplating suspending their studies.

Approval can only be given for the suspension of a student’s studies for up to 1 academic year.  This post provides guidance on the procedure of voluntary suspension of studies, for Undergraduate and Taught Postgraduate students.   

What is voluntary suspension of studies?

Suspension is taking a break from your studies for the following reasons:

  • Maternity or paternity;
  • Illness;
  • Family issues;
  • Financial issues;
  • Standing as a sabbatical officer for the Hertfordshire Student Union;
  • Other reasons at the discretion of the Dean of Students.

 Things you need to consider

Suspending your studies can bring a number of implications that you should consider.  Suspending your studies may: 

  • Require you to leave University managed accommodation, and you would need to re-apply before returning to study.
  • Affect your tuition fees payments.
  • Affect the immigration status of international students studying in the UK.  
  • Affect your council tax exemption status.
  • Affect your access to a number of University services, including the LRC, nursery, Disability Services, and Student Union status.
  • Affect DSA funding.

Support and advice 

You can talk with a variety of University staff to support you in your decision-making:

How do I apply for voluntary suspension?

If you are contemplating suspending your studies, you should speak with your course Programme Tutor before making a formal request.  

If you decide to apply for a suspension of studies, you need to complete the request for voluntary suspension of studies form and attach documentary evidence of the reasons for the request.  The form must be countersigned by your course Programme Tutor.  Once signed, you are responsible for passing the form to your Ask Herts hub. Your Student Records Administrator will then request approval by the Dean of School

International students must speak to International Student Support at the earliest possible time.

Requests for suspended studies of more than 12 months, retrospective requests, or requests that appear 'unusual', will be considered on a case by case basis by the Dean of School.   

If you are funded by the Student Loan Company

You need to complete a Change of Circumstance form

Contact Us


Student Wellbeing

Today 8.30 - 17:00
Student Wellbeing is closed at weekends and during holiday periods.
Student Wellbeing (Counselling), College Lane

Disability Services

Student Wellbeing

Today 09:00 - 17:00
Student Wellbeing is closed at weekends and during holiday periods.
Student Wellbeing, College Lane Campus

Student Immigration Team (Advice)

Student Immigration Team (Advice & Compliance)

Today 2pm - 3:30pm
Wednesday at DeHav Hub
Ask Herts (Hutton Hub), College Lane

Herts SU Advice & Support

Hertfordshire Students' Union

Today 10:00 - 16:00
Our team aims to respond to email queries within 2 working days or less. Pre-booking appointments is advised. Please contact the team via email or complete our online appointment request form to do this.
Herts SU, College Lane

Student Wellbeing

Today 8.30 - 17:00
Student Wellbeing is closed at weekends and during holiday periods.
Hutton Hub, College Lane