Skip to main content

International Student Support

A helpful overview of support information available to international students during their studies at UH.

Welcome to the UK

It's so great to see you at UH! Our helpful summary of support services and guidance will hopefully help you to settle in. 

To get started, please read the essential information for international students with a Student Visa/Tier 4 arriving at the University of Hertfordshire:

Welcome to the UK - Essential Information

Things to do when you first arrive

Studying and living in a foreign country should be an exciting time. Here are the first things that you will want to do when you arrive.

Using the link below you can see how to collect your visa, how to open a bank account, how to register with a doctor and more:

You've Arrived - What Next?

Opening a bank account

We recommend that you open a UK bank account while you are studying with us.  Follow the below link to read how to open a bank account, including what documents you may need to take to your appointment:

Opening a UK Bank Account

Student Visa Advice & Guidance

The Student Immigration Team (Advice) is responsible for supporting overseas students during their stay in the UK, including immigration, employment and personal matters. Use the following link to see how to contact them and how to make an appointment for further guidance:

Student Immigration Team - Advice

If you require advice and guidance with regards to your Student Visa compliancy, please contact the Student Immigration Team (Compliance):

Student Immigration Team - Compliance

Further essential tips to protect your Student Visa can be found on the following link:

Essential Information for Student Visa Holders

Medical & Health Services

If you live on-campus or within the local Hatfield area, you are able to register with the UH Medical Centre. The UH Medical Centre provide general medical and nursing services for students. Fully trained staff are available to offer help and advice for a number of reasons. Please use the following links for more information:  

Register with the UH Medical Centre

If you do not live within Hatfield, please visit the NHS website to search for your closest Doctor's Surgery:

Find a NHS GP

Student Wellbeing Services

There are many ways in which the University can help you to get support and look after your wellbeing. The Student Wellbeing  team deliver a range of professional, specialist services to support you with emotional, mental health, disability and health related issues. This includes Counselling, Disability and Mental Health support. Please use the following link to get more information on how to get help and who to contact:

Student Wellbeing

The University has also partnered with Health Assured to offer a 24/7 Student Helpline. Students can use this service to seek support regarding financial, legal, physical and mental health or housing issues. More information for how to access this service can be found:

24/7 Student Assistance Programme 

Disability Support for International Students

International Students who require support with a disability can access support via the Student Wellbeing team. Student Wellbeing  can offer you a tailored package of support, and can advise on potential adjustments which may help you during your studies. Please use the following link for more guidance:

Student Wellbeing - Disability Support

International Support and Events Officer

The International Support and Events Office (ISEO) is a member of staff within the Dean of Students Office. They are mostly responsible for the welfare, discipline, and pastoral care for international students. They also work within the Community and Safeguarding team and they work together to support all students living off campus.

The ISEO reports to the Deputy Manager (Student Community), and assists with other administrative duties within the Community and Safeguarding Team too.

The ISEO is also responsible for the planning, organisation and implementation of all orientation activities for students, especially students travelling from overseas. They are the key co-ordinator for liaising with all departments and Schools to promote a sense of community for international students.

In addition they also supervise a team of Student Guides, who help deliver a range of support services and actvities throughout the academic year. These include an airport collection service at the start of term,  an orientation programme, social events and coach trips. 

You can contact the International Support and Events Officer via

Library and Academic Skills Support

You will need to be familiar with how to access library resources at UH so that you can do well in your studies. We recommend you join the Library SkillUP Canvas module which contains guides, videos and tips to get you started. This includes how to find and use the Online Library page of StudyNet, how to use Library Search to find ebooks and journals as well as listing face to face and online support available in the Study Success Hub unit.

The Centre for Academic English (CAE) can also offer you support when it comes to writing your assignments. The Library team have compiled a reading list containing resources to help with academic writing and other study skills, which you may also find useful.

Religion and Spirituality

The Chaplaincy team support students of all faiths to explore religion and spirituality, lend an ear when you want to chat, and help you explore a wide variety of spiritual traditions. The team can offer advice on where to pray and worship on-campus, and provide a variety of Chaplaincy services and events. Please use the following link for more information:

UH Chaplaincy

Student Safety

University is an exciting time for many students. It is however incredibly important that you still prevent yourselves from becoming victims of crime. Please use the following link to access tips and guidance to ensure your safety is maintained:

Student Safety - Crime Prevention 

Student Accommodation - Support and Welfare

If you live in on-campus University accommodation and need assistance, help is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. The Residence Life and Safeguarding team (Dean of Students Office) are available to help you during office hours . Please click on the link below for further information:

Residence Life and Safeguarding Team

If you are privately renting off-campus, please ensure you visit the following webpages to read about the PAL Accreditation Scheme, and other support available:

Support for those Privately Renting Off-Campus

Financial Support

The Student Funding and Financial Support team (SFFS) offer advice and guidance for students at the University of Hertfordshire, please find more information on the link below with regarding the services the team offer:

Student Funding & Financial Support Team

Student Union - Advice and Support

The Student Union offer free and impartial, confidential advice on issues such as financial wellbeing, complaints, Hate Crime reporting, sexual health, housing, academic appeals and misconduct, and the SU Buddy Scheme. Please use the following links for more information and how to access the SU webpage:

Hertfordshire Students' Union Website

SU Advice & Support Centre

Health and Fitness

If you want to look after yourself there is a range of ways to do it. There are so many options for any ability and fitness level, so get involved any way you can by finding your fit. Check out the below links for all the information you need:


Events calendar

Visit our UH Events & Activities Calendar for an overview of upcoming  events throughout the year. These range from social activities and professional development,  to awareness campaigns and events:

UH Events & Activities Calendar

Contact Us

Community Student Support Officer

Office of the Dean of Students

Today 08:30 - 17:00
We are out of the office quite a lot, due to carrying out regular off-campus house visits. If you call please leave a message.
Room B440, College Lane

International Support and Events Officer

Office of the Dean of Students

Today 08.30 - 17.00
1st Floor, Hutton Hub, College Lane

Student Immigration Team (Advice)

Student Immigration Team (Advice & Compliance)

Today 2pm - 3:30pm
Wednesday at DeHav Hub
Ask Herts (Hutton Hub), College Lane

Residence Life Team

Office of the Dean of Students

Today 08:30 - 17:00
Outside of office hours, in an emergency please contact Security (01707 281010 internal 1010)
B440 , College Lane
Today 08.30 - 17.00
Residential Services Office , De Havilland Campus

Student Funding and Financial Support

Student Finance

Today 09:00 - 17:00
Offering guidance and support to our Student Loans Company (SLC) funded students.
Hutton Hub, College Lane
Today 09:00 - 17:00
Offering financial support to students, such as the Hardship Fund, Blackbullion and Money Management Workshops
Hutton Hub, College Lane

Student Wellbeing

Today 8.30 - 17:00
Student Wellbeing is closed at weekends and during holiday periods.
Hutton Hub, College Lane

Herts SU

Hertfordshire Students' Union

Today 10:00 - 16:00
Herts SU (College Lane), College Lane
Today 10:00 - 16:00
This office is open term-time only. Please refer to the Herts SU website for further details.
Herts SU (De Havilland), De Havilland

Herts SU Advice & Support

Hertfordshire Students' Union

Today 10:00 - 16:00
Our team aims to respond to email queries within 2 working days or less. Pre-booking appointments is advised. Please contact the team via email or complete our online appointment request form to do this.
Herts SU, College Lane