Our Learning Resources Centres (LRC) are open 24/7 to help you succeed in your studies.
Core services include book browsing and borrowing, individual and group study spaces, bookable group study rooms, computer and software access, and help and support including a Study Success hub, where you can access a range of support from our friendly team of experts.
The Learning Resources Centres (LRC) provide a range of spaces, services, and technology to help support students and staff with disabilities. Find out more: Disability support in our LRCs
Books and resources
Our Learning Resources Centre (LRC) bookshelves are available 24/7 for browsing and self-issue. Physical books are found on the first and second floors of both of our LRCs and you can also access thousands of e-books via the Online Library on StudyNet.
- Physical book browsing and self-service borrowing
- Closed access collection items, including printed theses
- Book returns
Find out more about book borrowing: ask.herts.ac.uk/book-borrowing
Both LRCs have a range of spaces for group and individual study activities so whether you are looking for a quiet spot to revise or a space to work with others there is a space for you. Other than our group study rooms there is no need to book, just come in and find the study space that works best for you.
Our LRCs may be more or less busy depending on when you visit. Mornings tend to be quieter than afternoons, especially from March through to May. You can use the 'plan your visit' feature on the HertsMobile app if you want to plan ahead.
- Space for individual and group study, and for tuning into online teaching sessions.
- Quiet and silent study areas
- Bookable group study rooms
Find out more about study spaces available in the LRCs: ask.herts.ac.uk/study-spaces-in-the-learning-resources-centres
Computers, printing, and software
We have a range of computers, Macs, and specialist software PCs available for you to use in the LRCs plus you can print, copy, or scan your work using our self-service printers.
- Access to computers, including hi-spec computers
- Chromebook laptop loan
- Free Wi-Fi and sockets to plug in your own device(s)
- Printing, photocopying, and scanning
- Poster printing
- Video camera (Panasonic HDC-SD40 HD) and tripod loans (complete the equipment request form) - Terms and conditions apply. Minimum 3 working days' notice required.
Find out more about using computers and software in the LRCs: ask.herts.ac.uk/using-computers-in-the-learning-resources-centres
- Toilet facilities including gender-neutral facilities
- Water fountains for filling lidded containers
- Cafe (check opening hours here)
- Drink and snack vending machines, and microwaves for heating your own food
- Storage lockers in the LRCs
Help and support
Help is on hand whilst you are studying in the Learning Resources Centres (LRC).
- Welcome desk for face-to-face support
- Security staff available 24/7
- Computing support by appointment (contact the Helpdesk)
- Study Success Hubs for face-to-face study skills support
Find out more about getting help and support in the LRCs: ask.herts.ac.uk/getting-help-and-support-in-the-learning-resources-centres
Books and resources
- Digital book and journal collection
- Book reservations
- Request a scan
- Inter-library loans
- Suggest a book/ebook purchase
- Additional online resources to support your studies, including subject-specific resources; images, video, and audio resources; and general reference materials.
Computers and software
- Remote desktop service - access a Lab or LRC PC wherever you are
- Zoom video conferencing and Microsoft Teams chat and online meeting